Digestor of IBP
The Ilmenite Beneficiation Plant is designed and installed based on the BCA Cyclic Process Technology supplied by M/s. Benilite Corporation of America. The Plant is in a single stream and is subdivided into six major sections, based on operation:
- Raw Material and Reductant handling
- Roasting and Cooling
- Digestion and Filtration
- Calcination and Cooling
- Acidic Liquor Treatment
- Tank Farm
- The raw Ilmenite (RI) containing 58 -60% Titanium Dioxide is beneficiated to 90% Titanium Dioxide content.
- The beneficiated Ilmenite (BI) is the raw material for the Pigment Production Plant.
- The ferric oxide in the RI is subjected to high temperature in Roaster. The Fe2O3 is reduced to leachable FEO form.
C + CO2 = 2CO
2C + O2 = 2CO
Fe2O3 + C = 2FeO
Fe2O3 + CO = 2FeO + CO
- The reduced Ilmenite (ReI) is then cooled and sent to digesters where it is leached with 18 – 20% Hydrochloric acid.
TiO2 + HCl + FeO = TiO2 + FeCl2 + HCl
TiO2 + 6HCl + Fe2O3 = TiO2 + 2FeCl3 + 3H2O
- The spent leach liquor is sent to storage tanks. The leached Ilmenite after washing and filtering is calcined to get beneficiated Ilmenite.